Over the past two weeks we’ve used Google Maps for an individual project and for a group collaboration. Now we’re going a step farther. This link will take you to the Monongalia County Health Department’s public health department page. Here you’ll find PDF documents from the last 13 months of health inspections in Mon County. The reports include restaurant names and addresses, as well as data for critical and noncritical violations. Can you guess where this is going?
In groups of 4-5, you are going to create maps (one month per group) of these violations. What will these maps look like? How will the data be visualized? That’s up to you as long as ALL data points in your file are mapped. Group and month assignments are listed at the bottom. One member will create the map – this person will then invite the others with the “collaborate” link.
- The description of your map needs an explanation of the difference between critical and noncritical reviews. You can find that information here.
- All data points for your file must be mapped and labeled. How many layers of information you add (e.g., distinctions between critical/noncritical reviews, links to more information) is up to you.
- Every group member must be involved in posting data points.
- Every group member must post the map to their personal blog by the due date.
How you’ll submit your work:
- Each group must post ONE comment to the assignment that includes a link to one of the maps and a brief description of what your map does (not just “health code violations”). It’s up to you who gets to post it.
- Come to class prepared for a brief presentation (don’t panic!) on your group’s map – either nominate a spokesperson or present as a group.
Grades will reflect the level of work put in. Maps that meet the minimum necessary requirements of this assignment will earn a grade that reflects that level of effort. Maps that go beyond the minimum will be graded accordingly. Use the different strengths of your team to build something unique!
Due: Noon on Tuesday, February 23 (no later than this – I need time to post them!)
- Group 1 (January 2010): Evan Moore, Brittany Nelson, Ray Zawodni, Heather Tawney, Travis Crum
- Group 2 (December 2009): Gabrielle Ash, Garrett Cullen, Casey Hofmann, Julia Day, Austin Sanders
- Group 3 (November 2009): Chip Fontanazza, Ashley Alford, Rachel Davis, Kaitlynn Anderson, Greg Carey
- Group 4 (October 2008): Cambria Stubelt, Gavin Matela, Paden Wyatt, Hillary Baum