Ordinarily we’d kick this one off in class, but as of this morning, my voice has completely left me. Instead, I’ll walk you through today’s exercis via the magic of the internet! In next Tuesday’s class, we’ll be doing a special project with several other schools – you do NOT want to miss class, for a variety of reasons – so today we need to get to know Twitter (if you already do, congratulations, this will be super easy). This “in”-class assignment will get you started (if you’re not already). The requirements are simple:
- Create a Twitter account and post your handle as a comment to this page. You may use your existing account if you have one, or you may create a new account if you’d like to keep your existing account private. Due: In class (by the end of the day), Thursday, September 19.
- NOTE: Your profile must be publicly accessible (because I have to be able to read it to grade you)
- Create a Twitter Timeline widget linked to the account you’ll be using for class and add it to your sidebar (in your Dashboard under Appearance > Widgets – NOTE: Use the “Twitter Timeline,” not “Twitter” widget). Due: In class (by the end of the day), Thursday, September 19.
- Start/continue following:
- Follow me (@thebobthe) and each of your classmates (20 of them).
- Follow ReadWrite (@rww) and Mashable (@mashable)
- Find at least 30 other people/organizations/whatever to follow. Yes, that may seem like a lot, but in Twitter terms it’s really not. A good place to start is the blogs in your blogroll – most will have a Twitter handle.
- Due: Noon, Friday, September 20.
- Post at least 10 tweets, each incorporating one or more of the following:
Even if you’re an established Twitter user, this assignment should have you ready to tweet when you show up for class on Tuesday. See you then!