Now that we’re a week into our group blogs (and 10 weeks into our personal ones), we’re going to start thinking a little more actively about drawing people in by means other than brilliant, stimulating content. We talked in class today about SEO – Search Engine Optimization – and its uses. Here’s that brilliant/awful Huffington Post example: What Time is the Super Bowl? Like it or not, it exemplifies how SEO works. Even almost a year later, it’s still one of the top hits for a question many people were asking Google in February 2013.
Your assignment is as follows (due before class next Thursday – 11:30 a.m., Oct. 31):
- Write an SEO-focused headline for a post on your group OR personal blog.
- Compose TWO tweets for the story
- Tweet each of these with the link to your story
- The two tweets must be in the same block on the same day: Morning (9-12) or Afternoon (1-4)
- They must be at least an hour apart (e.g., 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.)
- NOTE: You can also post two updates to Facebook, or two to Twitter AND two to Facebook, for greater comparison (but you can’t post one to Twitter and one to Facebook)
- Post a comment to this assignment that includes:
- The headline
- The tweets and the day and time(s) you posted them
- Why you wrote them the way you did and posted when you did
- Discussion of the pageviews, retweets, and any other response you got.
We’ll look into the numbers behind these in Thursday’s class