Your new blog needs a place for readers to find out what it’s about. You could do this as a first post, but over time, this will get hard to find – nobody likes scrolling, after all. Instead, you’re going to create an About page. Have a look at this read from blogtyrant on what makes a terrific “About Us” page – they include examples, too! With those ideas in mind, get started.
In your dashboard:
- Pages > Add New
- Title: “About” or “About This Blog”
- Write some appropriate “about” content (you can update this as your blog grows)
Some things you’ll need to include:
- What’s the blog about? Well DUH. But this means you’ll need to know that yourself, and that means spelling out the specifics of what readers can expect. You might add some links to similar blogs (while explaining what will make yours different)
- Who’s the author? Tell us your background. What are you studying? What are your interests and accomplishments?
- Where can I find you? You’re cultivating an online presence, so let interested readers know where they can hear more from you. You needn’t use an email if you don’t want, but at the very least put up your Twitter handle.
When that’s all done, post the link to your About page in a comment to this post, and I’ll add it to the blogroll on our course blog.
Due: 11:59 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 17 (must post comment by this time)
DON’T FORGET: Tweet the link to your first post (not this About page) using the #WVUblogJ next week too!