Your new blog needs a place for readers to find out what it’s about. You could do this as a first post, but over time, this will get hard to find – nobody likes scrolling, after all. Instead, you’re going to create an About page. Have a look at this read from blogtyrant on what makes a terrific “About Us” page – they include examples, too! With those ideas in mind, get started. There are two parts:
For Wednesday, January 18:
You’ll be writing two things: 1) An About page, and 2) a first post (bring both, printed, to Wednesday’s class – these must be printed by the start of class or they will be marked late and will lose a letter grade). Some things you’ll need to include:
- What’s the blog about? Well DUH. But this means you’ll need to know that yourself, and that means spelling out the specifics of what readers can expect. You might add some links to similar blogs (while explaining what will make yours different)
- Who’s the author? Tell us your background. What are you studying? What are your interests and accomplishments? (note: Readers don’t want to hear about YOU until they’ve heard about your blog!)
- Where can I find you? You’re cultivating an online presence, so let interested readers know where they can hear more from you. You needn’t use an email if you don’t want, but at the very least put up your Twitter handle.
- First post: Make it a real, attention-grabbing post, not an introduction (“Here’s my blog!”). You’re only printing this out for now, so include links and multimedia (photos, video, etc.) in brackets [url=…] so we can see where they go. Don’t forget to write a headline!
For Sunday, January 22:
After revising in our Wednesday class, create an About page on your blog (we’ll create blogs in Wednesday’s class) and post the link in a comment to THIS post. Once it’s up, I’ll add your blog to the blogroll on our course blog.
In your dashboard:
- Pages > Add New
- Title: “About” or “About This Blog”
- Write some appropriate “about” content (you can update this as your blog grows)
Due: 11:59 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 22 (must post comment TO THIS POST by this time)